[Milton-L] human intellectual & moral capacity

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 6 16:04:48 EDT 2014

What is "worthiness before God?"  That is the big question.  For Luther, Calvin, etc, there is no such thing for humans.  For Milton, I think there was such a thing, and that it consisted of the classical virtues (ideally together with faith in some version of the biblical God) -- this may not have been "all," but it certainly was not nothing.  The on/off switch makes no sense -- that would mean a world of only saints and sinners.