[Milton-L] human intellectual & moral capacity

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 6 15:31:46 EDT 2014

"Eve is not Satan's intellectual match, and neither are we."  I think this vastly underestimates Milton's belief in human intellectual and moral capacity (see "Of Education," Areopagitica, etc, etc).  As Satan says -- I think correctly -- in PR, the positions that the Son articulates in the dialogue between them show the Son to be "th'utmost of mere man both wise and good, / Not more."  For the Son to show himself to be "more," something else is required (and happens, of course).