[Milton-L] crucifixion (post-script)

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 6 14:49:27 EDT 2014

I had meant to include these lines as well, spoken by the Son just after the Father's decree of grace in Book 3:

For should Man finally be lost, should Man [ 150 ]
Thy creature late so lov'd, thy youngest Son
Fall circumvented thus by fraud, though joynd
With his own folly? that be from thee farr,
That farr be from thee, Father, who art Judg
Of all things made, and judgest onely right.

Man has been "circumvented . . . by fraud . . . joynd/With his own folly." Lucifer truly believed he could overcome God--so he wasn't defrauding the angels who followed him (to do so, he would have had to have been telling a conscious lie).