[Milton-L] crucifixion

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Sun Apr 6 08:51:45 EDT 2014

"...slain for bringing life;" (12.14). I have just read the story of
Lazarus that is a part of the passion narrative. But in the lines Richard
quoted the ear hears the pound of the nails, the hammer behind victory. Yet
I wonder is Milton avoiding the icon of the crucifix, by purely being a
reformation theologian who relies on faith. In 12.409 he echoes the writer
of Hebrews 11 in his line: "Imputed becomes theirs, by faith....." Deep
questions but blank verse is the vessel for a theology of faith.   Kemmer
Anderson