[Milton-L] crucifixion

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sat Apr 5 19:49:36 EDT 2014

I'm not sure what this snide comment accomplishes (and I am sure that it's not appropriate).  What does "taking him [Milton] at his word" mean?  I am taking the speech that God gives at its word.  Doing so is the whole basis of what I am saying. The point (for me) is that the poem is conflicted and contradictory at some points.  And as I said, I am not sure how to think about the contradiction that I see.