[Milton-L] Luther & the Eucharist

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sat Apr 5 15:57:07 EDT 2014

I think Luther would have said that they were good choices -- sanctifying the ordinary; showing God's benevolence toward the common and biological -- but not inevitable ones, and -- to the point -- not because of any special ontological status that they have or, of course, come to have in the ceremony.  One of his most startling assertions -- repeated again and again in the anti-spiritualist pamphlets of the late 20's -- is that the Real Presence is everywhere (Jesus is bodily at "the right hand of God"; the right hand of God is a metaphor for the power of God; the power of God is everywhere; therefore ...).  He did not shrink from this conclusion, but reveled in it.