[Milton-L] Luther & the Eucharist

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Apr 5 15:43:47 EDT 2014

Richard,

It was interesting to learn that Luther thought the vehicles of the
Eucharist were arbitrarily chosen. Through habituation, the bread and wine
probably seem like naturally unified signs to those of us who have been
exposed to Christianity.

I think most of us already agreed with you about the arbitrariness of the
Tree of Knowledge being singled out for prohibition. To serve its purpose,
the prohibition needs to be inaccessible to reason, except as reason
dictates obedience to God. God's decree makes the fruit mean something
(obedience) apart from what it inherently is (delicious food).  The tricky
name (knowledge) emphasizes how arbitrary a sign the tree is. In the
temptation, Eve gets caught up in speculation about what the fruit is and
does.