[Milton-L] yet once more

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Sat Apr 5 00:06:39 EDT 2014

 Richard, we don't disagree.  No one is more conscious than I am of the irony in the fact that in service of my argument that thefruit doesn't matter I have had to spend so much time talking about the fruit.  So to get back on track:
1) what species the forbidden fruit is doesn't matter
2) "apple" at 9.595 and 10.487 means just "fruit" not genus malus
3) but M has Satan insinuate genus males into the poem so that
4) readers will remember the controversy over the species, but only so that
5) they will deliberately resolve not to bother with that pointless debate, which involves (the exciting notion for me)
6) maintaining an imaginative blank in the place of the fruit.

All my talk about the kind of fruit that was forbidden was in service of being able to add a "must" to (2).
 Though if raised a sub-issue that has become interesting to me in its own right.

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College