[Milton-L] yet once more

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 4 22:54:32 EDT 2014

The point -- again -- is not what things are but what God commands.  That's the point of the analogy with Luther's Eucharistic theology.  He thought the Real Presence was everywhere, and that God could have made a chestnut Eucharistic.  The point is not where He is, but where He wants us to find him.  The idea that there is something special about the fruit of the forbidden tree is (again) what Satan convinces Eve to believe -- a belief that, of course, he mocks later.

RS