[Milton-L] "Oh we can't eat apples"

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Thu Apr 3 18:47:06 EDT 2014

On 04/03/14, cbartonphd1 <cbartonphd1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> For God to have created multiple trees like the sole forbidden one, Adam and Eve might have transgressed without realizing it, as you say.

  I don't think this follows. Eve is in no doubt as to which tree is forbidden. As soon as the serpent leads her there, she knows it is the one. I can see no necessary connection with the species of the tree. There is never the suggestion that Adam or Eve might have eaten the forbidden fruit by mistake. The tree of knowledge grows next to the tree of life, which is "high eminent" (4.219), but I do not see any textual evidence that the forbidden tree is eminent in any way, especially kind.