[Milton-L] "Oh we can't eat apples"

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 12:43:44 EDT 2014

I've always assumed that both the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good
and evil and the fruit of the tree of life were unique varieties of fruit.
However, after reading John's post, I feel that this is just an(other)
unexamined assumption that I've always had about the poem. If we're going
to existentialize the eating of the fruit (the act, not the fruit, is
important), then why would these trees have to be a unique variety?

I do agree too with the earlier post about intentional arguments, but I
think we can reframe this discussion to exclude reference to intent and
still make the same arguments.

Jim R