[Milton-L] "Dumdown Award" for parallel edition of PL -what the hell?

Benjamin (Ben) Moran bamoran at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Apr 1 00:22:07 EDT 2014

The Milton Reading Room is the source for the paradiselost.org text, as Jim
suggests.  Elsewhere on the site (on the 'Poem' page), the link embedded
within "Paradise Lost: Annotated" leads to the Dartmouth project.

As far as I can tell, neither Thomas Luxon nor Dartmouth receive credit on
paradiselost.org.

Ben Moran
University of Alabama

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>wrote:

> Milton reading room?
>
> Jim R
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM, JCarl Bellinger <dionhalic at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> My query concerned _only_ the quality of the text of Paradise Lost
>> printed on the left-hand page of this (worse than disgusting because [i
>> agree with Gregory] culturally and ethically deleterious) money-grubbing
>> publication.
>> It's because of that limited interest that I signaled past editors of
>> Milton's text. According to my own brief layman's check it seems to
>> accurately match the original both in spelling and punctuation. If that is
>> the case where did they get this text? No way they produced it themselves!
>> would they have had to steal it? Can we tell from their text which web site
>> they stole it from?
>>  On Mar 30, 2014 2:02 PM, "JCarl Bellinger" <dionhalic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The left-hand column, "original" PL text in this "line by line
>>> paraphrase" surprises me a little in that it seems fairly good. But I'd
>>> like to ask, how does it read to yee who have yourselves edited the text?
>>> http://www.paradiselost.org/lmg/Book-1.html

> --
> Dr. James Rovira
> Associate Professor of English
> Tiffin University
> http://www.jamesrovira.com
> Blake and Kierkegaard: Creation and Anxiety
> Continuum 2010
> http://jamesrovira.com/blake-and-kierkegaard-creation-and-anxiety/
> Text, Identity, Subjectivity
> http://scalar.usc.edu/works/text-identity-subjectivity/index

Ben Moran

MA Candidate
The Hudson Strode Program in Renaissance Studies
Department of English
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0244