[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Nigel Smith nsmith at Princeton.EDU
Mon Sep 30 10:04:19 EDT 2013

I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Peter Davidson's 'Poetry and Revolution: An Anthology of British and Irish Verse 1625-1660' (OUP, 1998), and I think a paperback followed.  Probably too expensive for an undergraduate class if still in print.  It is a serious resource however, with much little known material.  But you need the prose too: David Wootton's 'Divine Right and Democracy' (Penguin, 1986) remains the most interesting selection, but alas, no Ranters (I do have a new edition of my Ranters anthology out next spring).  There is an older anthology ed., William Lamont and Sybil Oldfield, 'Politics, religion, and literature in the seventeenth century' (1975).

Brendan, you have to do a new anthology!

Nigel.
________________________________
From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu [milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu] on behalf of rumrichj [rumrichj at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:38 PM
To: John Milton Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Without wishing to seem to be pumping Chaplin's and my edition, I want to note that most of Mario's work on the Religious Poets is incorporated into Norton's 17th-Century British Poetry anthology, and it was thoroughly updated for that edition largely by Mario himself (for which Mario knows we are grateful and, even better, collegially bound--between covers no less).  The textual improvements he established for the more recent edition, especially to the texts of Herbert's poetry, add up to a significant plus for the volume and indicate to me at least that his contributions are not obsolete but continuing and readily available in a useful current and still relatively inexpensive edition.  The broader basis of the new edition (I think) permits and encourages an understanding of "religious" poetry as more pervasive and culturally evocative than the label ordinarily is taken to mean.  That was at least our notion both going into the project and coming out.

With all good wishes, Mario, stored up on purpose.

John