[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 11:23:49 EDT 2013

Dear Mario,

I'm terribly embarrassed at having caused you any discomfort. The danger of
email is that one (or, I guess, I) fires them out without properly
considering who may receive them. In no way did I intend to disparage your
work or (really) your anthology. Indeed, my main complaint was the lack of
available anthologies of 16th-17th c. religious poetry, and, since yours is
really the only one available, I should hardly have objected to it. And I
certainly wouldn't criticize the inclusion of Herbert, Crashaw, Vaughan,
Marvell, Traherne -- all excellent and essential of course. I should have
been more reasonable in my remarks. Of course, everything -- including all
of us -- grows older with time. That doesn't mean that we become obsolete,
but that, from time to time, such things as anthologies need to be
reconsidered, revised, updated. Yet even this might not necessarily mean
that each of us would find the perfect anthology for the course we wished
to teach. One of us would want this poet included, another a different one.
I wanted Donne, Southwell, and some women poets, but another teacher might
not have. Or of course one can supplement the anthology in different ways:
with other books, photocopies, online texts.

My general point about the lack (or availability) of anthologies of this or
that shaping our teaching holds, I think, but my unconsidered, and largely
unjustified, disparagement of your anthology was unwarranted. My sincere
apologies. Please don't recede!

Hannibal

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Mario A. DiCesare <dicesare1 at mindspring.com

hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com