[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 23:52:11 EDT 2013

This thread is of great interest to me, and I have a couple of modest
suggestions. As the various recommendations have surfaced, it has struck me
that there has been very little of direct bearing on the Wars themselves.
Perhaps this is taken care of by the historian side of Brendan's team. But
it seems to me that in such a course should be included the great documents
of the period, at least the Petition of Right. I was just rereading the
snippit of Edward Hyde included in my very old, outdated Oxofrd Anthology
of Eng. Lit Vol. 1. The way this is organized, Hyde falls under the group
of Characters along with Aubrey, Overton and the like. I'd consider the
character of "characters" and how this might be a clue to the (excuse me,
I;ll do it anyway) character of the age of the civil wars.

I once bought a lovely book at Powell's whose author I forget, but the
title was something like "A war without an enemy.: It's a popular history
with many illustrations, including a front dust jacket cover with the major
players all assembled: Charles I, Henrietta Maria, Charles II, Cromwell,
Prince Rupert and the rest.  I lent this book to a friend whose ancestor
was one of the many people depicted as onlookers on the platform as Charles
was executed, and it never got back to me -- the book, I mean. This might
be a good book to have on library reserve, and I'm sorry I can't give you
more professionally rendered bibliographical data.

And, if I were teaching such a course, I might assign the students to write
a "character" of some contemporary figure and/or to look for what might be
considered "characters" as opposed to "profiles" in contemporary history.

I would add, FWIW, that knowledge of the Civil Wars in the USA is almost
total. I've been met with blank stares and huh;s ad duh;s upon making the
broadest allusion to them -- yet a case can be made that it is at this
point that modern history starts, and where the American Revolution and
republican government start. I'd bet that the average denizen of WA, OR, or
BC could tell you who Prince Rupert was or why the BC city is named for
him.  Come to think of it, could there be an inclusion of Americans of the
period, Roger Williams perhaps, who had plenty to say about it?  Of course
I love the poets, but in all fairness the still remain the unacknowledged
legislators of the world.

Nancy Charlton