[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 28 18:11:50 EDT 2013

Dear Hannibal Hanlin,

Many years ago, I corresponded with, and then finally met, a hero of
mine, a Latin professor who had brilliantly and even seductively edited
the first, second, and fourth books of Vergil's /Aeneid/, Roland
Austin.  My wife and I stayed with Roland and his hotblooded Scottish
wife in their home in the Cotswolds. I recall that once, when we were
driving to a pub for lunch, Roland said was that he felt very much like
a back number.   Your comment about my anthology of Herbert and the 17c.
religious poets being "old" made me wonder if, despite my somewhat
advanced age (I'm 85) I should now consider myself a back number and
just recede from public or any other view.  I don't quite understand the
point about my anthology being "old" though the observation that it
leaves out women is  justified and embarrassing.

In the end, I agree fully that new anthologies should be edited.  The
publishers' ways of getting them out, making their money, and letting
them lapse (Norton not one of these) is disheartending, to say the least.

Mario