[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 16:58:16 EDT 2013

It is interesting, isn't it, the extent to which what we teach, perhaps
even work on, is shaped by such a contingency as the availability of texts
and anthologies. I've run into this problem many times. There used to be a
number of anthologies of pastoral poetry, for instance, including one by
Frank Kermode. None remain in print. Does that mean there is no longer any
interest in pastoral? Surely not. I taught a course on the religious lyric
last spring and again, no decent anthology available. There's the Norton
George Herbert and 17th c, Religious Poets, but it's old, it leaves out
Donne and Milton (presumably in order not to overlap with other Nortons),
as well as many others, including Southwell (not 17th c. of course, though
constantly available in print), Constable and Alabaster, and women like An
Collins and "Eliza." Ah well.

I'd encourage Brendan and anyone else inclined to edit new anthologies that
might serve us better.

Hannibal

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Brendan Prawdzik <
brendanprawdzik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for those great suggestions!
>
> Sara, those pointers alerted me to texts that would be important to
> include, several of which I had not considered.
>
> Lara, I have indeed used the Norton Seventeenth-Century anthology, and
> you're right, it's good teaching text *and* it's affordable.  I will
> likely use it and then add some handouts to include prose and outliers.
>
> Michael: thanks for those suggestions.  Donne!  I have not read some of
> these but they seem very much to-the-point.
>
> Just fyi, other texts worthy of inclusion:
>
> Much of Herrick's poetry: "Argument of His Book" and "Corinna's Going
> A'Maying" are favorites.  Herbert's "Church Windows" is an excellent idea.
> A few others by Herbert might fit.  Obviously, Milton.  Lovelace.
> Cowley. Marvell! -- take your pick.  Horatian Ode, "First Anniversary,"
> Death of Buckingham, Nymph Complaining!, The Mower poems, even.  Hobbes
> would be great.  Love the James I idea.  Some satirical playlets.
> Parliamentary order closing the playhouses.  Philip's double-death of
> Charles.  Broadsides.  Wither?  Leveller, Digger prose.  Denham's "Cooper's
> Hill" (Appleton?).  D'Avenant *Siege of Rhodes *might be a bit boring but
> would tie some things together.  Carew's *Coelum Britannicum* followed by
> Milton's *Mask*.  Even a glimpse of the 1637 *Book of Common Prayer*paired with a glimpse of the 1645
> *Directory of Publike Worship*.
>
> In short, so much to choose from.  I was hoping father fondly that there
> would be a textbook covering much of this material.  But alas, I'll be
> using many handouts (with all the copyright fun re: the modern editions).
>
> Maybe we need such a text.  Anyone interested in editing one with me?
>
> Best to all and happy weekend,
>
> Brendan
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Lara Dodds <LDodds at english.msstate.edu>wrote:
>

>> Have you looked at the Norton Critical editions _Seventeenth-Century
>> British Poetry: 1603-1660_ ed. Rumrich and Chaplin. It's accessible,
>> affordable, and I've found it to be fairly flexible for teaching 17th-C
>> lit. courses on several different themes. It could be combined effectively
>> with the prose anthology Sara suggested.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lara
>>

>>  Dr. Lara A Dodds
>> Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator
>> English Department
>> Mississippi State University
>>
>> Phone: 662-325-2354
>>
>> *The Literary Invention of Margaret Cavendish*
>>
>> http://www.dupress.duq.edu/products/religiousstudies7-cloth
>>  I don't have a book to suggest, but some political poems to throw in,
>> besides the obvious Multon, Marvell, and Lovelace:
>>
>> -James I, sonnet prefatory to Basilikon Doron
>> -Donne, "Show me, dear Christ"
>> -Herbert,"The British Church," "The Windows."
>> -Wm. Drummond of Hawthornden, epigram on Pym
>> -Herrick, epigrams "Twixt Kings and Subjects," "Twixt Kings and Tyrants,"
> [...]

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall