[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 12:12:39 EDT 2013

Thank you all for those great suggestions!

Sara, those pointers alerted me to texts that would be important to
include, several of which I had not considered.

Lara, I have indeed used the Norton Seventeenth-Century anthology, and
you're right, it's good teaching text *and* it's affordable.  I will likely
use it and then add some handouts to include prose and outliers.

Michael: thanks for those suggestions.  Donne!  I have not read some of
these but they seem very much to-the-point.

Just fyi, other texts worthy of inclusion:

Much of Herrick's poetry: "Argument of His Book" and "Corinna's Going
A'Maying" are favorites.  Herbert's "Church Windows" is an excellent idea.
A few others by Herbert might fit.  Obviously, Milton.  Lovelace.
Cowley. Marvell! -- take your pick.  Horatian Ode, "First Anniversary,"
Death of Buckingham, Nymph Complaining!, The Mower poems, even.  Hobbes
would be great.  Love the James I idea.  Some satirical playlets.
Parliamentary order closing the playhouses.  Philip's double-death of
Charles.  Broadsides.  Wither?  Leveller, Digger prose.  Denham's "Cooper's
Hill" (Appleton?).  D'Avenant *Siege of Rhodes *might be a bit boring but
would tie some things together.  Carew's *Coelum Britannicum* followed by
Milton's *Mask*.  Even a glimpse of the 1637 *Book of Common Prayer* paired
with a glimpse of the 1645 *Directory of Publike Worship*.

In short, so much to choose from.  I was hoping father fondly that there
would be a textbook covering much of this material.  But alas, I'll be
using many handouts (with all the copyright fun re: the modern editions).

Maybe we need such a text.  Anyone interested in editing one with me?

Best to all and happy weekend,

Brendan