[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Lara Dodds LDodds at english.msstate.edu
Fri Sep 27 11:29:21 EDT 2013

Have you looked at the Norton Critical editions _Seventeenth-Century British Poetry: 1603-1660_ ed. Rumrich and Chaplin. It's accessible, affordable, and I've found it to be fairly flexible for teaching 17th-C lit. courses on several different themes. It could be combined effectively with the prose anthology Sara suggested.

Best,
Lara

Dr. Lara A Dodds
Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator
English Department
Mississippi State University

Phone: 662-325-2354

The Literary Invention of Margaret Cavendish

http://www.dupress.duq.edu/products/religiousstudies7-cloth
>>> "J. Michael Gillum" <mgillum at ret.unca.edu> 9/27/2013 9:34 AM >>>
I don't have a book to suggest, but some political poems to throw in, besides the obvious Multon, Marvell, and Lovelace:

-James I, sonnet prefatory to Basilikon Doron
-Donne, "Show me, dear Christ"
-Herbert,"The British Church," "The Windows."
-Wm. Drummond of Hawthornden, epigram on Pym
-Herrick, epigrams "Twixt Kings and Subjects," "Twixt Kings and Tyrants," "Preposterous is that government," "Tis liberty to serve one lord"