[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Fri Sep 27 10:34:02 EDT 2013

I don't have a book to suggest, but some political poems to throw in,
besides the obvious Multon, Marvell, and Lovelace:

-James I, sonnet prefatory to Basilikon Doron
-Donne, "Show me, dear Christ"
-Herbert,"The British Church," "The Windows."
-Wm. Drummond of Hawthornden, epigram on Pym
-Herrick, epigrams "Twixt Kings and Subjects," "Twixt Kings and Tyrants,"
"Preposterous is that government," "Tis liberty to serve one lord"