[Milton-L] Scansion of line X

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Wed Sep 18 15:24:39 EDT 2013

Carter, I just read (heard!) your great locker room speech on scansion,
sense and reading aloud. A classic save for oral interpretation contests. I
was railing from Book 1 in Iliad to stir up my warriors on Missionary
Ridge. Athena check Achilles' rage: Hold back now. Obey us now"  Fagles,
1.251
Then Achilles or Homer provides a proverb: "If a man obeys the gods /
they're quick to hear his prayers."   (A long pause for Stella here)
I was quick to recite line of Paradise Lost to my students....even the
Iliad is about obedience...Kemmer