[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 82, Issue 24

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Wed Sep 18 13:30:42 EDT 2013

Evan, it is interesting that these two lines with a similar stress contour
have totally dissimilar rhythms. To me the great Samson line seems
un-iambic and tending toward the dipodic rhythms of some folk-verse. It can
be heard as having four primary beats alternating with secondary beats, one
of which is implied by a pause. "Dipodic" means you perceive a difference
between the primary and secondary beats that is sort of like left and right
when walking. Probably very few lines in PL have this quality, maybe "Sing,
heav'nly muse, that on the secret top"? The poets take more liberties in
dramatic verse.

A common way of interpreting a run of three consecutive stressed syllables
is to consider the middle one metrically demoted to the metrical status of
offbeat, even though it is still stressed. Likewise, in a run of three
unstressed syllables, the middle one can be perceived as realizing a beat,
even though still unstressed. In my way of thinking, a pentameter has five
beats.