[Milton-L] Scansion and line 1

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Wed Sep 18 11:22:29 EDT 2013

Jim, I would add that there are a limited number of abstract line patterns
that count as iambic (including one tetrameter pattern that includes no
"iambs"). When a line can satisfy more than one of the patterns, I feel
around and choose the one that sounds (to me) more like natural English and
brings out (to me) the richer sense. The subjective element is in that
choice. So Richard prefers to hear the alternating pattern in line 1, while
I prefer the pattern with an inversion on syllables 3 and 4.

In the case of

That shepherd who first taught the chosen seed

one could hear the alternating pattern, or one could hear an inversion on
syllables 4 and 5, so that "who" does not realize a beat or require
artificial stressing (x/xx//x/x/). However, according to Wimsatt's theory,
such inversions are illegal if not impossible, harrumph!