[Milton-L] Scansion of line X

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Wed Sep 18 00:27:14 EDT 2013

Dear Hugh,

Speaking as her husband of 57 years, and someone who is still learning from her
how to read Milton (and lots of other writers), let me thank you for your kind
and true words.  Stella and I met at Yale Graduate School, where we used to go
up into the dim-lit stacks of the Sterling Library and share our delight in
Milton's poetry, and out for some hot chocolate and further communion.  We
hope to get back to such pleasures if possible, and maybe we will again trip
the light fantastic at a Milton conference, whether at the Newberry or
overseas.  Meantime it is very pleasant for us to look through the comments of
old friends and newer scholars==and if any of you wants to look at THE WAGNER
JOURNAL for November 2012 you can read a fine piece by Stella on Milton and
Wagner, with focus particularly on Paradise Lost and the Ring. (She actually
heard Melchior and Flagstad sing, by the way.)

With that I shall stand down and leave the discussion to her fellow scholars
(thanks to you, Lee Jacobus, as one!) and maybe, now and then, to Stella.

Cheers--and all hail the Scansion Squad!

Carter Revard