[Milton-L] Scansion of line X

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 18:07:24 EDT 2013

What if Milton was playing on the word "obeisance" and implying Adam and Eve's first time obeying their carnal desires, rather than the Father's? It would scan more easily with obeisance being 3 syllables- thereby linking it with "man's"- establishing a regular iambic line?- stressing "fruit" as the proximate cause- this coming from a guy who was required to sing in high school the first 20 lines of the Odyssey to the tune of "Stars and Stripes Forever" just to get the dactyls right- thank heaven it was an all boys' school-
Tony