[Milton-L] Scansion and line 1

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 16:35:05 EDT 2013

If you stress "of" it might bring up a question Milton doesn't really get into except in passing. OF man's FIRST dis-o-BED-yence...  Implies that there are subsequent disobediences, any of which might merit epic treatment. To stress OF would tie the phrase more forcefully to "Sing", possibly at the expense of the other matters catalogued before the invocation is made. Possibly their inclusion at the very opening is a distancing on JM's part is an attempt to keep the focus on the divine rather than the human history.

The Iliad's "Sing" is an imperative or vocative, whereas "of" is a lowly preposition which in classical languages would be part of a genitive noun and given little stress even as a long-syllabled diphthong.

As to the pronunciation of the d-word, is it not possible that JM, fluent in Italian, might have read the ie as y? Or would this come out as in j or dg, as someone suggested yesterday?

Nancy Charlton

Sent from my iPhone