[Milton-L] Scansion and line 1

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 15:10:11 EDT 2013

I initially brought up the possibility of a stress on "of" because, as Ben
I think observed, I misread Richard's initial cap as indicating a stressed
syllable. Yes, I agree, prepositions are normally unstressed both in
everyday speech and in poetry. Yes, like all unstressed syllables, they can
be take a stress under specific conditions. Having misread Richard's
scansion, I considered the possibility of stressing the first word of an
epic poem to be interesting -- like Sing at the beginning of the Iliad.
However, I never would have considered the possibility of a stress on "of"
had it not been for that misreading.

Many apologies for the confusion.

Jim R