[Milton-L] "then" not "[then]"

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Sun Sep 15 16:41:20 EDT 2013

James--you are correct about potential metrical demotion of "first." But
that is not an obligatory reading. "Dis-" is a secondary stress and so it
is easily read as an offbeat within a metrical inversion x//xx/x/x/. That
reading is not obligatory either; both readings are metrical.

In Jameela's thread they discuss a purported 12-syllable line ending with
"society."