[Milton-L] "then" not "[then]"

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 15 16:15:52 EDT 2013

Re Jim R's post:  I do not see "Of" as receiving metrical stress (if that is the vocabulary we are using); nor, as far as I can see, has this been suggested.

My scansion for line 1 is that it can be seen as perfectly regular iambic (now set our properly):

Of MANS first DISoBEdience [one syllable -- "dgence"], AND the FRUIT.

OR -- WITH FOOT BOUNDARIES (OR METRICAL POSITIONS) MARKED:

Of MANS / first DIS /oBE / dience [one syllable -- "dgence"], AND / the FRUIT.

The other plausible scansion (with a spondee in the second foot) is:  Of MANS/ FIRST DIS / o BE / dience [one syllable -- "dgence"], AND / the FRUIT.