[Milton-L] "then" not "[then]"

Benjamin (Ben) Moran bamoran at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Sep 15 16:12:48 EDT 2013

I may have misread Professor Strier's email, but I didn't think he was
placing a stress on 'of,' but simply capitalizing the first letter of the
line/sentence.  I'm not sure I've ever read 'Of' as an accented beat, but
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has.

I've followed this thread with great interest.  Over the course of the last
day or so, a couple of questions have come to mind, and I hope you'll
excuse a graduate student's ignorance if they're silly: were there any
early modern theories in place that suggested that metrical substitutions
carried particular significance?  Or were substitutions looked at as
acceptable (but insignificant) deviances from a standard model?  I know
that there was a good deal of substitution in Latin dactylic hexameter
(except, for the most part, on the fifth foot), but I have no clue what
people believed in the early modern period.  These questions come up as I
recall a passage from PL where the meter falls to pieces for half a dozen
lines or so; I remember this being somehow connected to the sense of the
narrative description (I don't believe it was a speech).  If anyone on the
list could give direction on this matter, I'd appreciate it.

Best,

Ben Moran
The University of Alabama