[Milton-L] "then" not "[then]"

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 15:46:54 EDT 2013

I know very little about Early Modern poetics to be sure -- so I very much
appreciate your responses -- but even reading line 1 today, I would say
that "first" could reasonably be demoted because a stressed syllable
precedes and follows it. That particular case is both performance and
convention, I would say. I like Richard's stress on "Of" because it's the
opening word of an epic, so that applies even more pressure to demote
"first."

The word "society" was only brought up in a hypothetical example of yours,
was it not? In that case I trust your statement about EM convention and
practice -- thank you.

Jim R