[Milton-L] Scansion and line 1

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 15 14:59:52 EDT 2013

Michael-- "seeing as" and "counting as" seem to me to be identical in this context.  To see something in a particular way in the metrical context is to count it in that way.

I see the point you are making about the second foot in line 1 (I am not convinced that we should not speak of metrical feet), but I am not so sure about "sense-required" accents.  Seems to me that that way madness lies, since there are all sorts of arguments why almost any particular word is semantically/conceptually important, and so to take such arguments into account, in doing scansion, would yield no metrical system.  In my view, part of the point of meter in poetry is to be (largely) independent of semantics.  If the two always overlap, one could never learn anything about a line from the meter, since you would only be reading for sense.  Whereas it seems to me that reading line one as regular gives an interesting emphasis on DIS, one that does make one think of the line somewhat differently.  I hope that I am making myself clear (i.e. meter is most important in poetry as an independent variable).