[Milton-L] Query on scansion

JCarl Bellinger dionhalic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 16:08:33 EDT 2013

I don't recall who made the observation but a line of just nine syllables,
a truncated line, appears just where Eve suggests to Adam they might choose
to remain childless in order to limit to their own persons the Woe
otherwise destined now for all generations of their progeny.

Perhaps someone could locate the line (I'm away from my desk at the
moment)...
I think that not a few editions of PL have rejected the nine syllable line
as unmetrical, which it most certainly is, and have replaced it with a line
that will scan.
-Carl