[Milton-L] the problem of hell

Neil Forsyth neil.forsyth at unil.ch
Thu Oct 31 17:27:41 EDT 2013

May I refer you to this essay of mine, based on a chapter in my biography of Milton, in which the issue of genders in PL is raised and discussed in relation to the pronouns. This is an important issue, often ignored, as my essay suggests by citing those who do not know the history of the language. By 1667, 'its' had mostly replaced the gendered pronouns, expect that Milton continued to use the, by now archaic, usages of his and her. The line you ask about is not explained, I should add, in my essay, and the line does indeed raise good questions, but it seems to me to fit with the other instances. See what you think. I look forward to hearing what you and others think.

“Milton's Womb”. Intertextuality: Nordic Journal of English Studies 8(2) 2009. p. 77-89. http://ojs.ub.gu.se/ojs/index.php/njes/issue/view/42

Neil Forsyth
neil.forsyth at unil.ch