[Milton-L] Lesser forms

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Wed Oct 30 16:41:45 EDT 2013

I do believe that Milton represents Sin as having choices and have
discussed that in a chapter in /Milton's Paradise Lost: Moral Education/
(not my choice of a title!). Sin has been given the responsibility to
keep the gates locked, and she chooses to unlock them. If it weren't a
choice, Satan wouldn't have to sweet-talk her and she wouldn't have to
justify her decision by pleading competing loyalties.

Bunyan's allegorical characters work the same way: their names are
adjectives (Faithful, Pliable), and, should they choose to act against
type, their names would change, as "Graceless" becomes "Christian."

--
Margaret Thickstun
Jane Watson Irwin Professor of English