[Milton-L] Lesser forms

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Wed Oct 30 11:29:45 EDT 2013

Thanks, John! As for "universal Pan, knit with the Graces and the Hours in
dance," Stella has just finished proofreading her essay on Neo-Latin Lyric for
the forthcoming NEO-LATIN ENCYCLOPÆDIA (ed. Jan Bloemendal et al.), with
discussion of hymn/ode/lyric poems in Horatian and Pindaric forms by 15th/16th
century Italian and other poets--Pontano, Marullo, Sannazaro, Crinito and
others.  Marullo in particular, in his HYMNI NATURALES (1497), published hymns
to Jupiter, Mars, Pallas, Venus, and other Olympic deities, introducing a
philosophic trinity parallel to the Christian, with Jove as both a neo-Platonic
first principle and quasi-Christian Creator God, Pallas as offspring, and Amor
as the spirit of love that unites the two and descends into the world as their
manifestation.  His hymns to Pan and the Sun feature Pan both as goat-footed
guardian of satyrs and a cosmic deity, symbol of the creative unity of all
things, as the Greek word "Pan" signifies; Marullo calls him (as he is called
in the Orphic Hymns) the generator of all things. Another Neo-Latin poet,
Flaminio, does likewise....