[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Mon Oct 28 19:37:00 EDT 2013

Jim,

Good to hear that like Addison you appreciate the poem more after discussing and
rereading it. It does seem to grow on its readers. When I look back at the
marginalia in the Milton text I used when first reading PL, I am determined to
apply ink-remover to them before anybody can be appalled by them.  Re-reading
has certainly helped.
As Dr. Johnson said, "lost in wonder" is the way to go.

As for De Gustibus, let me confess that I find Rubens's women too fat and
unintelligent--he should have done them more like Cranach--and would have
advised him to learn from a classic 20th century painter like Picasso how to
sprinkle their noses and other features around the canvas in surprising places.