[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Mon Oct 28 14:28:27 EDT 2013

As always, Louis, a thoughtful and interesting comment from a careful reader.
While I am putting together a more quiet and I hope reasonable set of
suggestions for reading the poem very differently from the way Addison and
Johnson and some (no names, of course) more recent critics, let me recommend
[1] Esther Yu's helpful discussion in MILTON STUDIES 53 (2012), pp. 181-202:
"From Judgment to Interpretation:  Eighteenth Century Critics and Milton's
PARADISE LOST," esp. 186-88 on Addison's strictures but also his "growing
awareness of the limitations of traditional benchmarks"--remarking, for
instance, of the "digressive self-references" that he had condemned as
"evidence of poor poetic judgment" ("Milton's complaint of his blindness, his
panegyrick on marriage, his reflections on Adam and Eve's going naked, of the
angels eating"), "I must confess, there is so great a beauty in these
digressions, that I would not wish them out of his poem."

[2] And, as for reading DE DOCTRINA and God's exposition as on the one hand
unorthodox and on the other Miltonic sham to cover his real views, it is well
worth reading (also in MS 53, pp. 3-15) John Hale and J. Donald Cullington's
discussion of their new edition of DOCTRINA, particularly Milton's terrific
Latin that has been missed by translators....

Carter