[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 11:19:20 EDT 2013

There's no question that PL is a collection of sub-genres, and that's part
of what makes it so compelling, but don't you think it's possible that at
times the juxtaposition of its various genres and the readerly expectations
created by them will clash, contradict, or create fissures in the narrative
and its coherence?

Calling it narrative to deflect one set of criticisms and allegory to
deflect another is more an expression of bias than a coherent reading
strategy. Yes, PL is both mimetic narrative and allegory, and that is what
makes it so imaginatively compelling, and what may cause problems too at
times. What I wanted to see happen in the Sin and Death episode was for the
mimetic elements to better serve the allegory, that's all.

I feel like I'm being asked not to look too closely at some elements of the
text.

Jim R