[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

alan horn alanshorn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:44:22 EDT 2013

Jim, let me refer you back to my earlier example of how taking an
allegorical figure literally necessarily yields ridiculous results. That is
itself a clue that your reading is missing the point.

The personification of sin as Sin has no implications for the
representation of the nature of sin in the poem. In other words, Milton is
not asking us to believe in sin as a real being with agency. Rather, Sin is
a figure of speech that, together with the other elements of the episode,
serves to metaphorically express a set of interrelated ideas that, as
others have noted, is picked up and explained in the following Book.

Alan Horn