[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:09:56 EDT 2013

Of course, Alan, but take one logical step away in Milton's narrative from
the Biblical referent and you enter the ridiculous, which I tried to point
out earlier was the product of Milton's personification of sin into Sin.
Sin as an abstract entity or as a quality of persons or actions can be a
kind of "key" to the "gates of Hell" that lets sinners in without letting
them out. Sin as a volitional agent, though, is able to choose to let Satan
out, and all other sinners besides, which is just the type of thing that
Sin would do, isn't it?

So why the huge gate and the lock?

Jim R

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM, alan horn <alanshorn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm asking for an explanation of the ridiculous: build a massive gate and
>> put an impregnable lock on it, and then hand the keys over to Sin.
>>

> Jim, if you were truly reading this passage as allegory, you would not be
> asking for a narrative explanation of this state of affairs but a semantic
> one. You would be asking what it means for Sin to hold the keys to the
> gates of Hell–a question, which, put in such a way, is unlikely to detain
> many readers of the poem.
>
> Alan Horn

Dr. James Rovira
Associate Professor of English