[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Sun Oct 27 17:31:07 EDT 2013

There are some pretty compelling passages in the poem that suggest of course that you can’t “escape Hell,” just by leaving the place that’s given that name.  I’m not in complete agreement with where Michael or Richard take the lines of argument they follow out (from this passage or the speeches in Book 3), but I think we can all agree that Milton, nod though he might from time to time, was not so simple-minded or inattentive as to accidentally include that kind of narrative contradiction in the poem.  It’s not a contradictory flaw; it’s (for better or worse) a device designed to make you think and feel your way through a set of consequential questions in unexpected and unaccustomed ways.

L.

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English
English Department