[Milton-L] Bk 3 and Jeffrey Shoulson's link

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 17:11:05 EDT 2013

I very much like this turn of the discussion. Perhaps the the simplest way to say it is that a problem with the Sin and Death episode of Book 2 is that Sin is able to get you into hell and also to let you out of it?

That's not a problem Biblically, because sin is not a person. It's a quality attached to objects, persons, or things. Since sin is not a volitional agent, sin then can get you into hell but of course can't let you out of it.

Now if Milton's personification of sin leads us to conclusions that seem to be obviously contrary to Milton's beliefs, then isn't that also a flaw in the episode?

I agree with Jeffery that it seems implausible that Milton would believe that we can sin our way out of hell, but there have been groups who have asserted something like this in the past.

Jim R