[Milton-L] new from saint-exupery press: the improved paradise lost

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Sat Oct 26 13:59:57 EDT 2013

Not so fast, Bentley Boy!  You have not cut the Book III dialogue of Father and
Son which directly references (and contrastively parallels) the Sin/Death/Satan
episode near the end of Book II, and in so doing uses Pauline passages (Romans
and Corinthians--"O Death, where is thy sting?" perhaps the best known of
those) to personify Sin and Death.  Also, to slash comprehensively, should your
damascened meat-cleaver not chop out Milton's astonishing lines in III.13-21,
where he tells us (in effect) that he has just flown alongside Satan, and like
Satan is now about to "revisit...with bolder wing" the Holy Light? A reader of
the uncut poem would surely take that to imply Milton, "taught by the heavenly
Muse," himself "witnessed" not only Satan's whole journey, but the encounter of
Sin, Death, and Satan.