[Milton-L] new from saint-exupery press: the improved paradise lost

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Sat Oct 26 13:57:31 EDT 2013

Great Fun, Greg!

I'm saving this email and tucking it in my old faithful Hughes edition. I love, btw, "Th'unsettled Inconsistence". No matter that I completely disagree with you, the invention is worth the critical overreach. Nothing is more refreshing than reading old Richard B. He's the very definition of a brilliant mind "in wand'ring mazes lost." The miracle is, for humans, if not for angels who are, as Blake percipiently remarked, "have the vanity to speak of themselves as the only wise...[which proceeds]...from systematic reasoning," even these self-imposed manacles can be removed by Grace. Richard Bently and J. M. are boon companions in Elysium no doubt and by no wit or act of their own, saved only by poetry "how sweet the sound" proof positive of Grace.

Jim Watt