[Milton-L] Bk 3

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 25 19:31:40 EDT 2013

OK, now I'll really step in it.

About Book 3:  as far as I can tell, the Son's offer to bear death, etc, is completely unnecessary to Milton's conception (further proof of how far he is/was from traditional, normal Christianity).  It's all a sham, and another case (like moments that sound Calvinist) of M trying to appear/sound orthodox.  Here's why it's a sham:  Milton has already, at the very beginning of Bk 3, had God the Father (the only real God) explain that He intends to forgive man's fall on purely moral/philosophical grounds -- man was misled by another -- and contrasting this with Satan's fall, which He will not forgive.  No further mechanism or explanation for man's forgiveness is needed.  And it's all decided  on that basis.  Already.

It seems to me that the normal reading of Bks 2 and 3 in this regard has it backwards -- Satan's heroism is real (he really doesn't know what's going to happen), while the Son's is totally superfluous.  I'm not saying that Satan doesn't indulge in some manipulation and theatrics, but that he his doing something that, from the point of view of the fallen angels, really can't/won't be done otherwise.  But this is less important than the point above.  And I'm not saying that M doesn't get some of the normal experience of Christianity from the episode, just that it is not actually needed for his story and his overall position.

Coeur de Lion