[Milton-L] technical challenges in the excision of s&d from 10 (long, involved post)

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Fri Oct 25 16:34:14 EDT 2013

Thank you, Louis Schwartz. I agree with you completely. What I was trying to do, in a mild way, was suggest something of the actual reading experience with my post. That what happens to us when we actually READ P.L. (or listen to it read) is a sort of grasping and turning this way and that of a lot of threads (Genesis, of course, but also the Aeneid --and many many more for the more widely read among us). All these things God, the Father and Son, Heaven & Hell, Satan & the Serpent, the Garden and the Fall are, ultimately allegorical, after all. None are in our actual or lived experience; they're simply ways of trying to talk about origins and destinations (both of which are also outside our experience). Even my brother, who remembers being in the premature baby section of the hospital, has no memory of what he knows, like all of us, from observation, must have happened --I mean the successful union of sperm and ovum. And even THAT isn't the origin; more like the big bang, because one has to ask, where was I before that?  The I, in other words, keeps insisting on a temporal spatial situation that makes sense. And, of course, there's no such thing. As I said, it's a poem. A great poem. But perfection it ain't. Personally, it's perfection that I think is a null class.

oh well, on we go with wandering steps etc. etc.

Jim Watt