[Milton-L] technical challenges in the excision of s&d from 10 (long, involved post)

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Fri Oct 25 00:37:18 EDT 2013

 Au contraire, mon cher Coeur de Lion:  detailed examination of all the lines
involving Sin and Death (not only their encounters with Satan) is a good way to
try and see just how Milton MAY have spatulated them into the poem once he had
the brilliant idea of creating their first dramatic encounter with Satan. It
deepens Milton's portrayal of Satan as grotesque parody of God and the Son: it
reveals even to him the shocking truth of his "bringing forth" not a Savior but
a Murderer, not eternal life but eternal Death.  The Satan who has "heroically"
undertaken this journey and has so courageously fought his way here, is
suddenly unmasked as the BAD Father, the Incestuous Father, whose Only Begotten
Daughter (proleptic of Eve/Mary) he is suddenly forced to acknowledge as his,
and to see their Only Begotten Son now prepared to kill his Father.  Satan must
therefore recognize the limits of his power and be stunned by his own
dementia/amnesia. We recognize this, do we not, as the horrifying parodic
version of Book III's dialogue between Father and Son (surely all Milton
Listers routinely teach this?). So once we have wrapped our little minds around
these huge revelations to Satan and to us as readers, it behooves us as critics
interested in the processes of authorial composition to look through the later
lines as our colleague GM is doing to see if we can reconstruct Milton's (as we
may think at least) integrating the dramatic figures of Sin and Death into the
poem's dramatic action....

Well, them's my sediments.