[Milton-L] Flaws

Steve Fallon sfallon at nd.edu
Thu Oct 24 16:35:36 EDT 2013

I tried something along these lines 26 years ago, when I argued that Milton's harnessed the inconsistency to signal the gap between being and (Augustinian) privation of being.  I can understand that my reading will strike some as bending away from the poetic and bending too far toward the theological and philosophical, but I'm still partial to it.

If interested, one can find it here: "Milton's Sin and Death: The Ontology of Allegory in Paradise Lost" [a terrible title, I know], ELR 17 (1987): 329-50. A version, with a better title, appears as Ch 6 of Milton among the Philosophers.

Steve Fallon