[Milton-L] stripping my own back

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:58:49 EDT 2013

 No. You understand me perfectly, better than I understand myself. You have rightly fingered me as a finagler, an inveterate, unselfconscious, knee-jerk finagler.  Look the reason I'm castigating you all is that I'm trying to whip this out of myself.  I'm trying to gin myself up to be able to say, "No.  Shoots invisible virtue even into the deep is a bad line of blank verse.  I don't care if one can concoct a prosody that shows this doesn't technically violate the norms of five beat duple meter.  Your reader has to render it and won't be able to do so in an acoustically satisfactory way.  Surefooted as you are elsewhere, here you've misjudged." Mea non minora culpa.

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College